Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Minstrel Man

by Langston Hughes

Because my mouth
Is wide with laughter
And my throat
Is deep with song,
You do not think
I suffer after
I have held my pain
So long?

Because my mouth
Is wide with laughter,
You do not hear
My inner cry?
Because my feet
Are gay with dancing,
You do not know
I die?



--Hughes's life and work were enormously influential during the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920s.

Quick Write: Who is the author and what is the title of the poem. What does the poem mean to you? Do you agree that people can appear happy on the outside, yet be suffering on the inside? Explain.

Pass out progress reports and score summaries for the last periodic assessment. Discuss.


Title your paper Periodic Assessment Review

Number your paper 1, 26-31, skipping 5 lines between each number.

Question 1: Which questions can be correctly aswered without reading the selection? Explain.

For questions 26-31, write the letter for an answer that you believe to be wrong and explain.
Write the letter for what you believe is the right answer and explain.


Homework: Finish study island assignments and book report by 2/29/08.

No comments: