Wednesday, September 12, 2007

In love and hate, punctuation is important.

Consider what this letter means. What is it about? How can you change the meaning of the letter without changing any of the words? Give it a try!

Dear John:

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy --will you let me be yours?
Gloria



Use a comma after an introductory participial phrase. Example: Feeling hot, the boy ran to the refrigerator for a drink.

Place commas where they are needed.

1. Needing help immediately I dialed 911.

2. Having seen the final act I started to cry.

3. Thinking back on her life the woman was very thankful.

4. Having done his very best the boy stood tall and happy.

5. Desiring to be accepted Larry did some unusual things.



Answers

1. Needing help immediately, I dialed 911.

2. Having seen the final act, I started to cry.

3. Thinking back on her life, the woman was very thankful.

4. Having done his very best, the boy stood tall and happy.

5. Desiring to be accepted, Larry did some unusual things.

Finish writing your narrative.



Homework: Final draft of narrative

Friday, we will watch Akeelah and the Bee in Powers Hall.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

what i learn so far in english is that a narrative is a story and that moleasses is syrup.i also learn a story about fredrick douglas.

Jerry R. per.4

Anonymous said...

I learned that narrative means story.


Michelle P. per.3

Anonymous said...

Wat up Mr.Hilbert.I learn that a narrative is a story & moleasses is syrup.And I read a story about Fredrick Douglas. Janet Jimenez pr.3

Anonymous said...

i learned that narrtive is means story im so smart!
joanna dominguez
per.4

Anonymous said...

A police officer pulled over a driver and informed him that because he was wearing his seat belt, he had just won $5,000 in a safety competition.
"What are you going to do with the prize money?" the officer asked.

The man responded, "I guess I'll go to driving school and get my license."

At that moment, his wife, who was seated next to him, chimed in, "Officer, don't listen to him. He's a smart aleck when he's drunk."

This woke up the guy in the back seat, who, when he saw the cop, blurted out, "I knew we wouldn't get far in this stolen car."

At that moment, there was a knock from the trunk and a voice asked, "Are we over the border yet?"


im going tomiss your class...i liked your class! =(
i hope you liked the joke!

Anonymous said...

sorry the last comment was from gloria from your 2nd period.

Anonymous said...

MR.HILBERT ROCKZ!!!